9.08.2010

Does Facebook Blur the Professional and Personal You?


Jeff Utecht makes this really quite simple to understand. And I now recognize why Jenn Branch required that I use a personal blog for this course, and not my school library blog: the need for separation (a healthy one) between the professional and personal. The key is finding and navigating that grey area in between. And there is no doubt that the lines are blurred. Especially, when your personal passions mimic, to a large degree, your professional followings and fashions.

I also think that's why I view my Facebook page as representing my personal 'you'. It also may help derived meaning from the fact that I'm having trouble joining many of the amazing 'professional' groups on Facebook. I can't get past the fact that it is truly a 'social' network and not necessarily the best platform for the professional 'me'.

Perhaps I need to explore this in greater detail. I suppose the fact that our SD blocks FB doesn't really make this any more an inviting or accommodating venture. Without FB access at school, I would have to access it from home and this, for me, comes pretty darn close the personal 'me'.

To what extent do you wrestle with the power that Facebook provides to connect with our students and the fine line that is one's personal 'space'?

The struggle to find meaning continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment